With the beginning of Russia’s full-scale war on Ukraine, Filter significantly expanded its activities. Here is what our project has been doing since February 24.
- Now you can find Filter on TikTok and LinkedIn. On TikTok, we promote critical thinking and develop users’ media literacy in a simple and creative way. We share the main rules of media literacy and debunk the main Russian narratives about the history of Ukraine. We also run our LinkedIn page in English where we share information about the main activities of our project, media literacy situation in Ukraine and debunk Russian propaganda and historical myths.
- Valeria Kovtun, head of Filter project, conducts regular lectures on the topic “Fact-checking in wartime” for Ukrainian and foreign students. Hundreds of people register for online lectures! Offline lectures have already been held at the University of Kiel (Germany), University College London and the London School of Architecture. Valeria will soon hold offline lectures at Cambridge and York University. Stay turned!
- Filter published recommendations on how to consume and share information in wartime to save your life. You can get acquainted with them both on our website in PDF format and in a post on Instagram.
- Together with the Center for Democracy and the Rule of Law, the Embassy of Sweden in Kyiv, the OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine and the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine, Filter also created a guide for journalists in times of war. The document is available on the website in PDF format.
- On our social media, Filter shares the stories of the winners of the Reporter competition about brave Ukrainian men and women who defend their motherland, as well as those who survived the horrors of the war. These posts can be found on Facebook and Instagram under the hashtag #filter_heroes, and their English versions on LinkedIn with the hashtag #filter_heroes.
- During the war, Filter interviewed a Ukrainian TikTok blogger (be.margaret), who talks to Russians who believe in propaganda. Margo speaks with them in the chatroom and asks questions which sometimes make her interlocutors question their beliefs. Read on our Instagram whether such conversations are effective.
- FILTER also spoke with Serhiy Prokopenko, CEO and coordinating editor of GwaraMedia. Serhiy shared more details about the PEREVIRKA Telegram bot, which he had created together with his team. The bot allows users to verify news. Read more about the bot’s work on Instagram or on the website.